In 1999, New York adopted the TraCS (Traffic and Criminal Software) platform to facilitate the capture and transmission of electronic data related to a wide range of public safety activities conducted by enforcement and court-related agencies. New York developed TraCS through a partnership that included the New York State Police (NYSP), Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee (GTSC), Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), the Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) and the Office of Court Administration (OCA) for forwarding to the respective local courts.
Designed as a statewide electronic ticket and crash data collection and transfer system, TraCS includes electronic ticket and crash forms, DWI forms, arrest and incident forms, commercial motor vehicle inspection forms, and the use of GPS devices and GIS maps.
TraCS represents a statewide effort to collect and transmit crash and citation/adjudication data electronically to the DMV’s AIS and TSLED (Traffic Safety Law Enforcement and Disposition) systems. The TraCS platform includes crash reporting forms and a universal electronic ticket for use by police agencies throughout the state.
In 2016, New York issued 2.3 million traffic citations and completed 351,000 crash reports using TraCS.
- LEAD AGENCY: New York State Police (NYSP)
- PROGRAM SUPPORTED BY: Internal Staff and Contractor
- TRACS SOFTWARE DEPLOYMENT: Statewide Agency: NYSP (1,400 cars, 3,500 Officers). Local Agencies: 524 U and D agreements; 487 installed; 487 transmitting electronically
- FUTURE DEPLOYMENT PLANS: Implement Web Services and the TraCS Update Server.
- LAST UPDATED: 2017/01
Forms being used by New York include:
- UTT – Universal Traffic Ticket
- Crash Reporting Form (MV104A, MV104S, MV104L, MV104D)
- Incident – RMS front end
- Forms package: Appearance Ticket, Deposition, Information’s, Complaints, Statements
- Field Intelligence Cards
- Vehicle Inventory
- Vehicle Search Form
- Traffic Depositions
- Enforcement Detail Reporting
- DWI: Lab 23, Supporting Deposition/Bill of Particulars, Refusal, Long Form Information
- Commercial Vehicle: Weights forms, Inspection form
- NYDMV DS5 – Police Request for Driver Review
ADDITIONAL FORM DEVELOPMENT PLANS: Currently updating the DWI package, Field Intelligence Card, and MV104S. A Parking Ticket is currently under development.
New York hasn't implemented MACH yet.