THE WISCONSIN STATE PATROL IS THE LEAD AGENCY FOR THE TRACS PROGRAM. WISCONSIN LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES BEGAN USING THE “BADGER TRACS” SUITE OF FORMS IN JUNE OF 2005. THE WIDESPREAD ADOPTION OF THE SOFTWARE HAS ALLOWED WISCONSIN TO MOVE TO AN ELECTRONIC FORM FOR ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT-REPORTED CRASH REPORTS, ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT POLICE PURSUIT REPORTS, AND ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT USE OF FORCE AND ARREST-RELATED DEATH REPORTS. TRACS USER AGENCIES HAVE SEEN A HOST OF BENEFITS TO INCLUDE REPORTS OF A 30% DECREASE IN CITATION COMPLETION AND PROCESSING TIME. IN ADDITION, WISCONSIN COURTS, DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICES, DATA ANALYSTS, THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, AND THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES HAVE ALL REALIZED SIGNIFICANT BENEFITS FROM THE ELECTRONIC CAPTURE AND TRANSMISSION OF TRACS FORM DATA.
THE WISCONSIN STATE PATROL IS THE LEAD AGENCY AND HOST FOR THE MACH PROGRAM WITH JOINT FUNDING PROVIDED BY THE WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES. MACH USERS WITHIN WISCONSIN INCLUDE OVER 180 STATE, COUNTY, LOCAL, AND TRIBAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, WISCONSIN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT, AND THE WISCONSIN NATIONAL GUARD. THE 4,500-PLUS MACH USERS BENEFIT FROM ALL OF THE REGULAR FEATURES OF THE SOFTWARE, AS WELL AS THE ABILITY FOR CREDENTIALED USERS TO SECURELY QUERY STATE AND NCIC DATA AND PHOTOS THROUGH MACH.
- LEAD AGENCY: Wisconsin State Patrol
- PROGRAM SUPPORTED BY: Internal Staff
- TRACS SOFTWARE DEPLOYMENT: TraCS has been adopted by over 550 state, county, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies across Wisconsin. There are over 10,000 law enforcement personnel using TraCS in Wisconsin. Agencies have over 20 different forms available in TraCS. Since 2017, 100% of all Crash forms submitted by law enforcement have been completed using TraCS. Since 2018, 100% of all Pursuit forms submitted by law enforcement have been completed using TraCS. Currently, 98% of all Wisconsin traffic citations are submitted electronically through TraCS. Wisconsin allows law enforcement agencies the option of setting up TraCS in a network, or web services environment with mobile computers connected in all environments. In 2020, the Wisconsin State Patrol established an environment to provide fellow TraCS user agencies with the option to have their TraCS data hosted. This option has reduced the TraCS support overhead for the over 300 hosted agencies with nearly 100 additional agencies preparing to be migrated to the hosted environment.
- TRACS FUTURE DEPLOYMENT PLANS: Wisconsin will continue to add to and refine the Badger TraCS suite of forms to best suit the needs of law enforcement. The Badger TraCS Unit is also working to complete the implementation of the TraCS Records Management System (RMS) functionality. Demand for the MACH software has remained high within the Wisconsin public safety community. The Wisconsin State Patrol continues to evaluate its options for meeting continuing demands to bring new agencies and additional users onto MACH.
- MACH SOFTWARE DEPLOYMENT: MACH has been adopted by over 180 state, county, local and tribal public safety agencies across Wisconsin. There are over 4,500 public safety users of MACH in Wisconsin. MACH serves as the computer aided dispatch (CAD) for both the Wisconsin State Patrol and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Traffic incident information within MACH CAD is shared in near real-time through an automated process with Wisconsin’s Traffic Management Center (TMC) to feed the Wisconsin’s 511 traveler information system. (511wi.gov)
- MACH FUTURE DEPLOYMENT PLANS: Demand for the MACH software has remained high within the Wisconsin public safety community. The Wisconsin State Patrol continues to evaluate its options for meeting continuing demands to bring new agencies and additional users onto MACH.
- LAST UPDATED: 2023/08
Wisconsin currently has over 20 forms in TraCS including:
- Alcohol Incident
- Call for Service
- Case Summary
- Citizen Contact
- Contact Summary
- Crash (includes Fatal Supplement)
- DNR Crash
- Driver Condition and Behavior
- Drug and Alcohol Influence
- Incident Based Report
- Natural Resources Citation
- Non-Traffic Citation
- Uniform Traffic Citation
- Use of Force and Arrest Related Death
- Vehicle Killed Wild Animal Permit
ADDITIONAL FORM DEVELOPMENT PLANS: Wisconsin is considering adding to the available forms as well as expanding several of the current forms.
MACH software is currently used in patrol vehicles of all types, support vehicles, marine units, airplanes, and in mobile command posts. MACH is also used by dispatchers in communication centers and by public safety support and command staff in office locations and in emergency operations centers.
MACH continues to serve as the computer aided dispatch (CAD) software for both the Wisconsin State Patrol and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Wisconsin has continued to add to the available static map layers and dynamic map markers in MACH to continue to meet the needs of the public safety community. A catalog of currently available MACH map markers along with instructions for their use is available at: MACH Marker Use Guidance (wisconsindot.gov)
MACH has proven to be an invaluable tool for use in high profile events and for unplanned significant incidents. A summary of the use of MACH during several recent incidents/events is available at: MACH Utilization for Event and Incident Management (wisconsindot.gov)
TraCS Program Manager